Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Meeting Notes: Money

--Included in the tour are all air and bus transportation, hotel, all breakfasts and dinners, entrances to activities on the itinerary, all tips and gratuities for activities and meals.
--Not included are lunches, beverages other than water (don’t count on iced tea…and don’t ask for it! Europeans don’t drink it and rarely serve it. Water in a glass is complementary with a meal; bottled water is a fee…just like in the US). Their water comes carbonated and non-carbonated, so request “gas” or “no gas” when purchasing bottled water. Also not included are activities you choose to do personally, souvenirs, bus driver and tour director tips (these explained in earlier posting).
--France will use the Euro and England will use the British pound. I recommend having some Euro with you before we depart. There is a Thomas Cook 24-hour currency exchange machine at DFW airport. Another option is to contact your bank. My bank charges a flat fee of $40 to exchange an unlimited amount of money with 1-2 day delivery. Several friends could go together and split the fee. I do not recommend using online Travelex as I have used them before. They charge a flat fee, BUT it is considered a cash loan when purchasing it with your credit card. I had LOTS of extra fees attached to my credit card.
--Once in France, if you need extra Euro I recommend using ATM machines as they are numerous and convenient. However each time you draw money there is a fee so make as few draws as possible or it will become expensive. Credit cards are readily accepted too for large purchases. It should be simple to exchange Euro to British pounds while on the ferry, so you probably do not need to do that before leaving.
--Although I haven’t used them in years, I still carry traveler’s checks with me. They can be obtained easily at your bank, do not cost, and if lost can be traced. They are my insurance...in case the ATM eats my card!
--Precaution: Leave a copy of your traveler’s checks, passport, credit cards, etc. at home, in your luggage, and in your wallet. In case of theft, we have information to report.
--And contact your bank and credit card company to let them know there will be charges from a foreign country. If not, they may be doing their job and cut you off! It’s happened!

No comments: